Saturday, February 14, 2015

A Namibian Valentines Day!


This week has been filled with many different emotions. To be completely honest, this is the first time I have felt a little hint of homesickness. We’ve been here for 5 and a half weeks here and this place is definitely home now. I am starting to know my way around town, I can direct a taxi driver home and I am adjusted to the heat again. But amid some of the inevitable highs and lows of any given week, I started to miss what I knew so well. Most especially, I started to miss my class of 2nd and 3rd graders at home!
         As I have already mentioned, I am teaching upper primary math at St. Barnabus. I have three classes of grade 5’s and a class of grade 7’s. I have grown to love each and every child so much in their own way, although some test me more than others. I love when they walk into my classroom and I can greet them with a handshake, hug or high five. Actually, this is one of the best parts of Namibia…I get to hug almost every single one of my kids every day. And for some, I know it is the only love and touch they get from adults in their life. I love being able to welcome them into my classroom with a smile. I love that I am still remembering more and more names each day. But when class begins, it can be a struggle. Some days all I want to do is tell them to “shut up!” because I cannot stand one more second of their talking over me. Some days I want to rip my hair out because I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to explain a concept in a way they’ll understand. And some days I feel like a fool, completely defeated because they were bored out of their minds throughout my entire class. This week was a mix of that.
         I missed my class in the States. I know so well what they know and how to get them to understand certain concepts. I know the culture that they live in and that my analogies will be meaningful and helpful to them. I have so many resources at my fingertips. I can introduce them to hands on activities knowing that they’ll be able to handle them. I was missing the comfort. But, when I started to think about it, I realized it was this feeling of discomfort that was really stretching me to be more creative, more patient and more forgiving and molding me into a real live teacher.
         Today, however, has to have been one of the weirdest experiences of my life. In Namibia, Valentines day is a BIG deal! The schools let the learners dress out of uniform in red and white for a price of N$5 (about 50 cents in USD). For the second half of the day, the whole school sits out on the yard and they have a pageant: Mr. and Miss Valentine. We were lucky enough to be the judges of this pageant along with two other Namibians. There were 9 girls and 10 boys competing for the title. There were four categories: swimwear, “own creation,” valentines wear and eveningwear. The last round only included the 5 finalists for boys and girls. For each round we judged the learners on their speaking ability, appearance, smile, confidence, and the most disturbing of all…body movement! To me there was something completely wrong with grade 5 through grade 7 learners putting on bikinis and modeling in front of their entire PUBLIC school. And to have to judge them on their “body movement” as they walked was horrifying. Needless to say, it was an interesting experience that I have hopefully had for the last time.
         Although we had a very strange day, the swarms of kids that wouldn’t let go of us made up for it. For some of these kids, these are the only hugs and love they get all day. I love getting to be that person in their life but it absolutely breaks my heart that they are receiving this at home, and what will happen when we leave?! Even though I’m missing my own valentine today, I loved having so many precious little Namibian valentines to make up for it!
         Tonight we are going over to Edwin and Emmy Tjiramba’s (both PLU alum and members of the Namibian 9) to watch the kids while they enjoy Valentines Day. We are going to play games, make valentines crafts and have a pool party! The perfect Namibian Valentine’s Day since it’s only 95 F outside. Boy will I miss lying by the pool with my book when we have to come home!
       
My teacher, Cynthia and I 

A few of us judges 
 
Getting ready to judge our first child pageant 

The Miss Valentine court, including one of my Grade 5 learners, Richardine as this year's Miss Valentine 

Some of my sweet Namibian Valentines, including two of my grade 5's: Hermando in the red pants to my left and Meunaje in the bottom left (white tank top) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment