Tuesday, February 3, 2015

I think they're finally learning!!!!!


Yes, I said it…I think they finally may have learned something! Today was the best day I have had at school so far! Instead of walking out of every single class feeling completely defeated and like I had done nothing but confuse the kids more, I walked out of school feeling like they may have actually learned something.
         Thank goodness we are done with “Data Handling” and onto Whole Numbers…a much more cut and dry unit. As much as I enjoyed statistics and graphing in high school, this was one of the hardest things to teach. The learners here do not have the base knowledge to support them in graphing and reading graphs and since there are no real calculations (all word problems), the language tends to be a barrier. And to start the year this way makes it even tougher.
         In grade 5 my learners are working on place value. Today we used an abacus to illustrate that. At first it seemed like a very abstract illustration. I didn’t think they would really get it and with the periods really being only 30 minutes by the time we get going, I thought it would be completely worthless. But, when they walked in the door I was able to start class right away; the smaller routines are finally becoming set and they are finally doing things on their own. They got out their books and pencils and we took off running. I kept reminding them that I was going fast today and they had to keep up. For most of the grade 5’s, the biggest problem is that it takes them 10 minutes to copy down one sentence. So imagine them trying to copy down the abacus that I had drawn on the chalkboard. But, I continued to move along and told them they would have to copy from a friend later if they didn’t do it quickly enough. Well, it worked. Most of them kept up with me and we actually got somewhere. They proved to me for once that I could actually move on.  
         In grade 7 my learners are working on writing numbers using words and vice versa. Yesterday they were completely lost. They didn’t understand the difference between 150, 465 and when the numbers are separated into 150 and 465. So instead of writing out one hundred and fifty thousand four hundred and sixty five, they were writing one hundred fifty four hundred sixty five…among other things. I am also learning to say AND between everything. In the states they beat it into us that you CANNOT say one hundred and fifty, but instead one hundred fifty. But here, they will get marked down on their big examination for leaving out the and. Who knows which one is right, but I am learning how to say and! So today, I broke it down for them. We went back to the basics and I think they finally understand. They are finally understanding how to express place value in words…that you must write “hundred thousand” and that the thousands, ten thousands and hundred thousands place really aren’t much different then the units (ones), tens and hundreds. There’s just an extra thousand.
         In the states we call days like this “skill and drill.” Well, after trying some really fun, hands on activities yesterday, I knew I had to do a little skill and drill today. Unfortunately the activities didn’t work as well as I would have liked, since they still are not independent learners. But, I was really happy to find a way to drill them today while still allowing them to carry the cognitive load and work on their own.
         The grade 5’s are still squirelly as ever and can hardly keep their hands to themselves (I don’t know if this will change before I leave). Yesterday I actually had to tell a kid to “GET OUT OF MY CLASSROOM RIGHT NOW!” It wasn’t pretty, but sadly it worked. The grade 7’s are finally opening up and really starting to enjoy math. We can joke around and I can turn off my “mean teacher voice” and they still pay attention to me. And they are mastering concepts. It’s truly a miracle.  
         I thought this day would never come. But, I am feeling so encouraged and like I may actually be able to be a teacher one day. I know…I’m just as shocked as you! I am learning that teaching in Namibia (and in general) is about baby steps. Each day is a new battle and you just have to take it one step at a time! Some days you wonder why you are doing what you are doing. And some days, you know for certain what you’re doing is the right thing. Today was the latter.  Today I am a happy “teacha.”

No comments:

Post a Comment